Submissions are invited for the #DesignforMSK exhibition and social media campaign
Musculoskeletal conditions like arthritis affect over 15,000 young people (aged 16-26) in the UK. They are disorders of the bones, joints, muscles and spine, as well as rarer autoimmune conditions such as lupus. Living with a musculoskeletal condition can interfere with your ability to carry out normal daily activities with common symptoms including pain, stiffness and problems with mobility and dexterity. Often, symptoms of these conditions are invisible to the outside world.
We would therefore ask you to think about the experience of living with a long-term condition and how it may be understood differently. Not all chronic conditions are the same and young adults may be faced with differing problems and issues. We would like you to think about how this could be represented through text or imagery.
Themes that have emerged from our workshop discussions include:
- Not wanting to stand out as being ‘different’ at school/college/work
- Feeling awkward using the accessible seating on public transport if someone else with a visible need doesn’t have a seat
- Lack of awareness of hidden disabilities and illnesses
- Musculoskeletal conditions tend to be seen as something that only affect older people
- Medication that is difficult to use – e.g. blister packs or pill bottles that are difficult to open, un-ergonomic injector pens
- For more, see our instagram profile https://www.instagram.com/designformsk/
Criteria for submissions:
- Works accepted from diverse disciplines (Visual arts, Photography etc)
- Digital file(s)
- Name and contact details and any other relevant information
- Up to 500 words about your work
The selected imagery or text will be exhibited alongside our patient-led design project, working together with design graduates, looking at possible design interventions in their current lives. It will also be shared on the #DesignforMSK social media channels (twitter, instagram and facebook).
Deadline for submission: 16th October 2016 at 5pm
Work should be submitted in a digital format to our email address: firstname.lastname@example.org